Friday, February 11, 2011

Ghost horse? no, leg repair 101


Who is that mystery horse? and why is he wrapped in a plastic bag? Why its my Trad Nahar resin by Tom B. Why? Well at his first ever show he somehow ended up with a cracked back leg. Pressure came from behind so it was around the back and up the front of the leg, barely could move it tho so it wasnt a bad break but it needed to be attended to. I have had him laying down since that show back in November and its time to get him back up on his feet and ready to show at the end of April!



 Step 1: Protect the rest of the horse! From scratches and dripping super glue. I simply used a plastic grocery back and my handy roll of blue painters tape.

Step 2: Make room for the super glue baking soda mix. With a super thin dremel bit I created a channel following the path of the break. (sorry for the blurry shot, I deleted the wrong pix from the camera)



 Step 3: Fill the channel with super glue and baking soda mix, one side at a time. (optional step: UNGLUE the super glue tube from your fingers when it cracks trying to roll it up and squeeze one last little drop out :( )
Step 4: Carefully sand the dried super glue/baking soda mix, use a small piece of sand paper so as not to sand too much of the rest of the leg (well I tried anyway, I will end up repainting almost the entire lower leg. Making it into a white sock is not an option on this piece as I had him painted with no white at all so a tall single sock would look out of place) (note to self - protect hoof when airbrushing rest of leg!) Be careful not to lose the tendon detail on the leg.


Step 5: Gesso the leg to see if its smooth and filled in, and give the paint a good surface to stick to. I wouldnt recommend spray primer, it could make too much of a mess, concentrate the spray on such a small surface area and it could run etc etc.

I have a little more work to do before he is ready for paint. I'm not good with greys so I hope I can do as well as Tom did originally!


No comments:

Post a Comment