Saturday, January 23, 2010

Roxys new tail!

Its done! some more clean up and sanding to do still. Someday she will be ready for paint! She doesnt really fit in my kludged light box anymore and the weight of the epoxy tail put her off balance again. She now has pegs in both off the ground hooves. Nothing I hate more than a tippy performance horse!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

More fun with oils!

Waiting for Apoxy to harden is just like watching paint dry, and its a 3 day weekend for me, soo out comes Doodlebug. He is very much in progress, I havent even done all the basic pattern on him yet. I'm still trying to figure out my painting style with oils. For Ravenhill I did all the pattern then shaded it. On this one Ive been working in sections insead, nearly finishing all the coloration before moving on.  He will end up with a similar pattern to the Ravenhill but in a liver chesnut.

In the meantime I've also worked a bit more on the Andalusian, I'm happier with him now and he should be done before too long.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A tale of tails

So I thought I might have cracked Roxys tail when I was doing all the cutting and heating early on. Well its a good thing I decided today that I wanted to sculpt a longer flowing tail instead of leaving the original. It took only a tiny bit of force to break it off at the dock so shes on her way to her new tail!

It seams Ive gotten quite the collection of manes and tails now. They will got to MH$P as soon as I have room for an ad (I dropped back to the 50 max again).

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sanding sanding and more sanding :(

But I held off until after I took the mane pix so you can see her better. I still have a little work to do here and there to make things smoother. I am just a messy sculptor!

Hows that look?

Tuesday, January 12, 2010


I think shes coming along great, one of my best remakes. Still needs the mouth air hole filled in, some more sanding and a banded mane and forelock (eek, the last one of those I did wasnt the greatest but I know I can do better)

With original Roxy for comparison

I was dying to try some tack on her!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mini Ravenhill done!

I felt almost well enough today to do a little work in the studio, it didnt last long. But I do have updates:

Mini Ravenhill is DONE, just needs to be sprayed.

AA Andy is not going as well as I would like. I wanted a dark bay, kinda got that, but all his shading is disappearing in the photo. I attempted dapples, but they ended up leaving a bit of a mess and were mostly abandoned.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Roxy cm in progress

in early stages but I welcome input on the new position. The neck is not attached yet, just propped on, it will be level but higher up. Going for a slower lope so she is a bit more versatile. Like this:

not the exact photo I'm using but its the closest I could find online.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Ahh 3 day weekends...

and too cold to spend much time at the barn sooooo its STUDIO TIME :)

Jackies Bitty Bosco is DONE

Still working to get the lighting right with my home made light box

Mini Ravenhill is getting close to being done!

and I've made progress on my kludged attempt at a light box without spending any money!

Clear plastic square storage box (damaged from being used for real horse stuff)
Blue cloth (existing piece I was using before, needs to be tacked up before I can do bigger models, just propped up right now)
Wax paper covering the outside of the box for diffusion of light
Existing desk lamp
Clip on lamp I bought for real horse shows but only used once

You can see by the sm resins its a big box so I should have no problem with trad models. Now I just need to find someplace thats not in the basement to set it up. Its so cold down there plus I risk dropping something or tripping down the old stairs or both.