Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shows can either inspire or discourage...

I had to sit and think about it, an old friend I havent seen in a while asked me at the show how long I had been painting. I said at least 10-12 years. Actually its more like 17! I started out hand painting with acrylics which I did not have great success at! After a few years of struggling I moved up to an area with more showers and learned to airbrush from one of them. By the end of that 12 year period I was pretty confident in my airbrush paint jobs, having won several cookies at NAN. But learning oils was like going back 17 years and starting all over. Showing several of my new pieces at the show last weekend was encouraging, not only in the placings but more so in the comments from some highly respected artists and collectors.

Not surprising then I was anxious to get back in the studio and start in on some new pieces.






This resin gal is well on her way to becoming a dark red bay tobiano NSH (she is a commission piece). She will have a more detailed pattern, I just blocked it in for now.

And a G1 Arab Stallion thats been hanging around here a while, I'm trying to recreate the Mindy paintjob :) He has a long way to go!

2 comments:

  1. I can really relate to the title of this post. I have left some shows thinking I have no talent and should hang it all up. Other times I come home full of enthusiasm and ideas! Fortunately it's been more of the latter recently!

    I *love* chestnuts painted in oils and am always glad to see artists trying this medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sheen of oils, thats why I wanted to try them out. But I will fix that airbrush someday!

    ReplyDelete